Yoga Teacher Training Program
Your Yoga Louisville is a community of positive energy that strives to restore the well-being of the mind, body and soul through living a yogic lifestyle.
Your Yoga Louisville offers authentic, traditional yoga in a non-judgmental, welcoming environment. We offer yoga classes, workshops, and services to meet your needs in a diverse, peaceful, safe environment. Whoever you are, no matter your age, size, gender or fitness level, we are here to support you and grow in whatever way that speaks to YOU.
200-Hour Yoga Teacher Training Course Objectives:
To provide each student with an in-depth understanding of traditional yoga that is grounded in a holistic and authentic approach for she or he to:
1. Enhance and deepen a personal practice.
2. Be able to safely and confidently teach others in a beginner and intermediate asana practice, pranayama, mantras, chakras and other yogic practices.
3. Understand how to teach to all people, no matter age, size, gender or fitness level; including an introduction to yoga for special audiences such as kids, teens, seniors and pregnancy.
4. Gain her or his own voice, skill and confidence in communication and teaching skills to help our yoga community.
5. Develop knowledge on all aspects of living a yogic lifestyle and how our actions affect the planet and how we can help preserve our environment for future generations.
6. Learn the true tradition of yoga philosophy and how to incorporate it into daily life in the Western culture.
All graduates of this program will be able to register with the globally recognized Yoga Alliance.
To receive certification and graduate our teaching training program, Your Yoga requires all assignments to be completed and tuition to be paid in full. The assignments include, but are not limited to, dedicated readings from the required material, written essays, journaling, teaching log, posture worksheets, presentations, final assessment, etc. The final assessment includes a written and oral test and a 20-minute practicum.
This teacher training requires 180 contact hours and 20 hours of non-contact hours prior to certification. Students are also required to hand in a log of 100 practice teaching hours. You may retake either of the final tests, but you will be charged a $30 make-up fee.
Students will have 12 months to complete all assignments from the start date of training until the date decided upon for the graduation gathering.
Cost of the program
The total cost of the program is $3100 (this includes the retreat in October). If you pay the full amount by November 1, 2018, you will receive a $200 discount. A $500 non-refundable deposit must be paid to reserve your spot in the training. Deposit and application must be received by January 18, 2019. All students participating in the teacher training will receive a FREE membership to Your Yoga during the ten months, which allows to unlimited yoga classes at the studio.
A full refund will be given, excluding the $500 non-refundable deposit, prior to the start date of the training. Due to our limited space, no refunds will be given once the training begins.
The following areas are covered:
· Yoga History and Philosophy
· Asana – Form, Benefits and Contraindications
· Pranayama & Meditation
· Kriyas, Chanting, Mantra
· Practice Teaching
· Various Teaching Styles
· Qualities of a Teacher
· Business Aspects of Teaching Yoga
· Anatomy & Physiology
· Physical and Subtle Bodies
· Yoga Philosophy, Lifestyle and Ethics for Yoga Teachers
· Language and Voice
· Class Sequencing
· Practicum - which includes practice teaching, receiving feedback, observing others teaching and hearing/giving feedback. Additionally, the practicum includes assisting students while someone else is teaching.
Required materials (not included in tuition):
- The Yoga Sutras of Patanjali - Sri Swami Satchidananda
- Living Your Yoga – Judith Lasater
- Yoga Anatomy 2nd Edition – Leslie Kaminoff & Amy Matthews
- Chakra Workbook – Pauline Wills
- The Complete Guide of Yin Yoga – Bernie Clark & Sarah Powers
- Jivamukti Yoga, Practices for Liberating Body & Soul – Sharon Gannon & David Life
- Yoga: The Iyengar Way – Silva, Mira & Shyam Mehta
- Yoga & Vegetarianism – Sharon Gannon
- Light on Life – B.K.S. Iyengar
- Inner Engineering: A Yogis’ Guide to Joy – Sadhguru
Recommended Materials (not necessary, but beneficial to the learning process):
- Ashtanga Yoga the Practice Manual – David Sweson
- Peace Is Every Step – Thich Nhat Hanh
- The Ayurvedic Vegan Kitchen – Tayla Lutzker
- Light on Yoga – B.K.S. Iynegar
- Surya Namaskar – Swami Satyananda Saraswati
- The Wheatgrass Book – Ann Wigmore
- Yoga Mom, Buddha Baby – Larson & Howard
Meeting times, dates and location:
Contact time hours:
Fridays 6:00pm - 9:30pm
Saturdays 8:30am - 5:30pm (with one-hour lunch break, not included as contact hours)
Sundays 8:30am - 5:30pm (with one-hour lunch break, not included as contact hours)
January 25 - 26
February 22 - 24
March 22 - 24
April 26 - 28
May 17 - 19
June 21 - 23
July 19 - 21
August 23 - 25
September 20 - 22
October 18 - 20 *
*October is the weekend of the retreat in the Red River Gorge. Details laid out in the syllabus, which is to be received once deposit is paid.
Locations (unless otherwise specified):
Fridays will meet at the studio
Saturdays TBD – either at the studio or Jessi’s house
Sundays TBD – either at the studio or Jessi’s house
**Graduation is for those completing all requirements and payments. There will be a later date agreed upon by all students to hold a “graduation gathering” so family and friends could attend as well. The date agreed upon is a relaxed potluck event for all to share in. This is not required but is a nice way to celebrate you and your accomplishment!